Christmas meme

Tempest inspired me to give this a shot.

1. Egg Nog or Hot Chocolate?
I wouldn't drink egg nog if you paid me. Ewww.

2. Does Santa wrap presents or just sit them under the tree?
Actually, "Santa" only fills stockings. Some of the stuff gets wrapped and some doesn't. No real rhyme or reason to it.

3. Colored lights on tree/house or white?
White on the tree. Nothing on the house.

4. Do you hang mistletoe?
Nooo....should I?

5. When do you put your decorations up?
Everything goes up on the last Saturday of the church year (which is the day before the first Sunday of the church year. That's this Saturday this year.) That way everything is up for the start of Advent as we prepare for the coming of the Messiah.

6. What is your favorite holiday dish (excluding dessert)?
Red cabbage! It is a traditional German dish in our family. It's cooked with apples and brown sugar and cider vinegar and cloves. Sort of sweet and sour tasting. It's amazing with turkey.

7. Favorite Holiday memory as a child:
On Christmas Eve - after church, but before we opened our presents - we always sang hymns and Christmas songs and read the Nativity story from Luke. Some of the songs we sang were in German, but I can't remember the words to them any more.

8. When and how did you learn the truth about Santa?
I don't remember exactly how old I was, probably around 10, and I don't remember how I found out, but I do remember that I bawled my eyes out!

9. Do you open a gift on Christmas Eve?
We open ALL our gifts on Christmas Eve. Another German tradition.

10. How do you decorate your Christmas Tree?
The colour scheme is red, white and silver. Click on the picture for a closer look.

11. Snow! Love it or Dread it?
Is "despise" too strong a word?

12. Can you ice skate?
Yes and no. There's something the matter with my feet - bad arches or something - that makes being on ice skates for more than a couple of minutes excruciatingly painful. So, though I know how to skate, I don't actually do it.

13. Do you remember your favorite gift?
Barbie motor home. Oh yeah!

14. What’s the most important thing about the Holidays for you?
The Messiah.

15. What is your favorite Holiday Dessert?
I don't know. Shortbread maybe?

16. What is your favorite holiday tradition?
Have you ever heard of the Quempas Celebration? It is traditionally done in the Christmas Eve service. Groups of children assemble in the four corners of the sanctuary. Beginning in one corner, the children sing the Quem pastores unaccompanied. Then the choir sings the Nunc angelorum in response, also unaccompanied. Then the whole congregation responds with the Resonet in laudibus. I wish I knew what the latin means. During the choir's singing, the children move from corner to corner. They represent the Gospel being proclaimed from the "four corners" of the earth. The choir's response symolizes the angels' pronouncements on the first Christmas. The Quempas is an ancient church tradition, going back to the 14th century, and is observed to this day in some churches. Ours is one.

17. What tops your tree?
A star. But that could change.

18. Which do you prefer giving or receiving?
You know, the receiving is no big whoop for me anymore. I do really love the whole process of giving gifts. Selecting something that will be enjoyed, wrapping it, seeing the reaction, the whole bit. We have a pretty strict budget for gift giving, but it is so satisfying giving a good gift that took thought and effort and that I know will be appreciated.

19. What is your favorite Christmas Song?
Lo, He Comes with Clouds Descending. I guess that it is technically an Advent hymn, but we only get to sing it at Advent/Christmas time. If you're interested, the words and melody are here.

20. Candy Canes! Yuck or Yum?
I'm gonna have to go with yuck. I can take them or leave them, but I lean more towards leave them.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh! So very cool!! Thanks for taking up the challenge! I enjoyed your story! Would you post the cabbage recipe sometime? Sounds wonderful!

I'm so jealous that you had the Barbie Motorhome! I SO wanted that as a girl, or her car. LOL!

Anonymous said...

oh tannenbaum, oh tannenbaum yada yada yada. I remember singing this in the car to or from my great-grandparents house. I don't remember the words anymore. and I only remember a couple of lines in the English version.

ok, I gotta say it: "despise?" You despise snow? Do you know where you live?

Your answers were funny and interesting.

Denise said...

I loved reading your answers sweety, thanks for sharing them.

Debbie said...

I am jealous too, only because I have been spending most of my time on the story and not able to do the meme. *smile* Maybe later!!

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Geez - I coulda tagged you too if ya wanted! LOL

RED CABBAGE!? Are you kidding?? (This reaction coming from a person whose family eats haggis! LOL)

And, that Quempas Celebration sounds amazing!

This was fun, fun fun! ((hugs))

Anonymous said...

I am soooo sorry it took me this long to get over here!! Terrific posts!! I have so enjoyed catching up ;). This is a great meme, btw. We used to visit an aunt with that singing bird (migraine!LOL!!) on her tree every year. Have a great weekend!