By the way, that's not my church
See the picture of the sanctuary to the left? ==> Update: Ok, I know there's no picture and yes, the arrow is pointing to the right. I'm directionally challenged, ok? To see the church click on the link below.
It looks just like my church, but it's not. The picture is of St. John's Evangelical Lutheran Church in Topeka, Kansas.
Apparently, for a period of a couple of decades in the late 30's to the late 50's, there was an architect who was building all these churches that where really, really similar. I've seen quite a few Lutheran sanctuaries that were remarkably similar, only to find out later that it was the same guy who built them. I don't know who built St. John's, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was the same guy who built our church, Redeemer.
I can't get over how similar this church is to ours. Even the red carpet is the same! The wood work in our church is a slightly lighter colour and the stained glass windows have different patterns, but the layout, the placement of the windows, the arch in the ceiling are all the same. Those lights appear to be identical. That cannot be a coincidence.
Anyways, Beth was wondering what our sanctuary looked like and since I don't have a picture of ours, I thought I would mention how similar this one is. Gives you a good idea anyway.
11 comments:
I actually wondered about that. It is a beautiful sanctuary. My church is not this large. Beautiful.
Do you have a choir, Anita?
Wow, I bet your church is lovely.
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh! I've "seen" that church before!! That's "my" church when I first left college! It happened to be a campus ministry but THAT'S THE CHURCH! LOL
http://www.umich.edu/~ulc/
Oh my gosh, that's crazy Beth! It DOES look the same, doesn't it? I wish I could remember the name of the architect - possibly Johnny Appleseed I'm thinking, lol. I'll ask my pastor. He knows who it was 'cause the guy designed our church AND the church that our pastor served before coming to ours. You know, we Lutherans are attracted to consistency but gee whiz!
Debbie, yup. We have 2 choirs at the moment - the regular choir and a youth choir. We are blessed to have an extremely talented Director of Music at Redeemer. Her name is Heidi Gallas and she is quite a well known pianist and choir conductor in our area. It never ceases to amaze me how she can take a group of ordinary voices and turn it into something extraordinary. Sometimes after church I just have to thank her for sharing her gift with us.
Here I come out of lurkdom...I am a Lutehran pastor's wife, and I enjoy your blog!! Lutheran's do seem to like the same thing over and over, but I think that's one of our charms! I read my hubby the funny things your kiddos said last week, and he told the birdie story to a family suffering in the hospital. It brightened their day, so thank you!
I was wondering which Lutheran church you belong to, hubby was just curious.
Did your daughter have a great time on her trip? My hubby is leaving next week to take our youth group to the US National Youth Gathering for the LCMS. I'm sad I don't get to go with him, next time maybe! There is just something about 30,000 teens praising God together! Wow! What an experience!
Blessings-Andie
my church looked almost identical. The stained glass had a round piece in the center. Behind where the photographer stood to take this picture is a balcony. The organ is behind the pulpit, in front of the altar. The choir sat on either side of that raised area before the altar (what's it called?) sort of out of sight.
ok, I AM directionally challenged to some degree, but isn't the picture to the right?
Wow, that is a pretty church! I have never been to a church where the preachers wore those robes(?)
Maybe I should visit other churches every once in a while huh?
Sara - d'oh! I laughed so hard at this! Yep, I too am directionally challenged. To tell the difference between left and right I have to hold my hands out in front of me and extend my thumb and forefinger out. Whichever hand makes the "L" is the left hand. Problem is, when you hold your right hand up to your forehead you get the big "L" also...
Hey Andie, nice to meet you! I'll have to head on over to your blog to check it out.
Glad you liked the funny things my kids say. Cheeky, aren't they?
Our church is Redeemer Evangelical Lutheran Church in Waterloo, Ontario. http://www.redeemer-church.ca/ We are a part of Lutheran Church-Canada which is basically the LC-MS in Canada. Sounds like LC-C is quite a bit smaller than the LC-MS. Did you say 30 THOUSAND kids?!? Wow! That's amazing! God is good! I sure can understand why you'd want to be a part of that. It would be something else to see all right.
Yup...30,000!!! It's totally amazing! My brother actually met his wife when he went to one! Maybe the next gatehring my parents will watch our kiddos and I'll get to go with our youth group! Glad to "meet" you!
Blessings-Andie
Post a Comment