A plug for prayer

Therefore, confess your sins to one another and pray for one another, that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person has great power as it is working.
~ James 5:16




I hope everyone has seen Sharon's new blog, Prayer and Praises to God. (Not just because I have a prayer request on it, *wink*.)

Sharon has been doing a great job of "keeping track" of prayer needs on the sidebar of her main blog but she has recently moved them offsite to a separate blog dedicated to prayer and prayer requests.

I want to say thank you to Sharon for doing this. I think it is great to have a "central" place to go to gather all our petitions together. I'm looking forward to the list growing and having the privilege of lifting up your burdens.

I was telling Sharon that I think that blogging has made me a better pray-er. I certainly pray MUCH more than I ever did before. Even if there are no specific prayer requests, just reading about your everyday lives gives me plenty to pray about - praise and thanksgiving as well as petitions for needs. I am just as thankful for the opportunity to pray for you all as I am for your prayers on my behalf.

As the Body, we are connected to one another by the Holy Spirit, but in prayer there is an added dimension to that connection. I am learning how powerful - and at the same time humbling - it is to intercede for others. I get on my knees - for you. And you do the same for me.

Here's the thing: before I became a blogger, if a friend had a need, usually my first instinct was to try to help them in a physical way if possible. God has given me the gift of mercy, so this is a strong instinct in me - and it is right for me to exercise that gift. But to pray about their need was always secondary - after I had done all I could do then I gave it to God. How proud and arrogant of me!

The geographical distance that separates me from my blogging friends has necessarily limited my ability to be able to "do" something when they have a need. I can't you know, run over with a casserole. Most times all I really CAN do it pray. Over time, this has transformed how I exercise my gift of mercy and how I view intercessory prayer. Instead of relying on my own ability to grant mercy, I must trust God to grant His. If I can be an instrument of His mercy, great. But if not, it's still in His hands. Prayer for the needs of another is not an action of "last resort" - it is the foremost thing I can do!

This has spilled over into my entire prayer life, strengthening and enriching it. I pray more often, for more things, for a longer time. I can't explain why, but being in prayer for others has had the lovely side effect of bringing a greater intimacy in my own relationship with Him. He seems nearer, and more accessible somehow. (That, of course, is just a product of my perception. He's always been near and accessible.) I guess more than anything else, I am noticing how often He leads me in prayer, laying burdens on my heart for others and prompting me to intercede on their behalf.

Yes, I still need to be more bold to bring my own needs to his throne, but even in this area I am more likely to lift that up to Him than before. But the bottom line is this: praying for you is a blessing to me. How like our heavenly Father to work on my heart in this quiet, gentle way.

9 comments:

Blog is no more said...

Thank you for your prayers! What a blessing you are to me!

I too have the gift of mercy; we tend to see a different side of situations don't we?

Thanks for sharing with us how you are growing in Christ.

Denise said...

Bless you for your prayers sweet friend, I also keep you in my prayers. I love you my friend.

Denise said...

I am so greatful for your friendship and prayers. I'm a lot like you, my first instenct is to reach out and help somehow. It's important to remember that at those times when all we can do is pray, we have already done the most important thing.

Anonymous said...

good post.

Off Topic: The Surviving Motherhood link goes somewhere else. That's supposed to be Jerusha, right?

Marilee said...

This is really awesome and I'm going to come back and re-read it after I've gotten some sleep. We had a fun, and very long, day today! I have a question to ask you too... It came up in a discussion we were having with our boys during the long drive back to Ohio today. Do you know how many different kinds of Lutheran churches there are? I know there's the Evangelical Lutheran, and some others, but since your blog says to "Ask a Lutheran" I thought "hey! Great idea!" (SMILE)

LOVE YOU!!! Marilee

Sharon said...

Thank you so much Anita for letting your readers know about the prayer blog. I will do my best to keep it up faithfully. If I suddenly become overwhelmed with requests, I may start asking for some help on this one.

In the last several years, prayer has become one of the most important things to me. When I go to our Father in Heaven on behalf of someone, I feel as if it's just like a child running to their daddy to ask his help for a brother or sister who fell and got hurt. A child knows to go immediately to Daddy, because in their minds, Daddy can fix anything! I feel that way about God.

I hope you and your husband have a wonderful time together!

Jamie Dawn said...

We definitely have contact with people we would never have met or known about were it not for blogging.
I have prayed for blog buddies and their families as needs have arisen.
There are no limits when it comes to sending a prayer. It can be on behalf of a blog buddy that we will never meet in person.

--------------
In response to your previous post:

I use a MAC. We are a MAC family.
MAC's rule!!

Lisa said...

I am so thankful for you! I look forward to the day when we are in heaven for all of us to meet and spend eternity praising our awesome God!

Lisa said...

P.S. Love the new blog look! Great job!