What my baptism means to me

On this day in 1966, at the age of 3 months, my parents brought me to the waters of Holy Baptism and I was "saved through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit" (Titus 3:5).

I would like to thank everyone who recently contributed their thoughts about baptism in response to this post. I have taken them to heart. I think you are right when you point out that my nephew is acting out of loving concern. Even though I think his concern is misplaced, I've decided to take the advice that many of you gave to have an open talk with him. I've been organizing my thoughts on this and I would like to share them with you also...

Lutherans believe that the Scriptures teach that we are saved by grace through faith. On the surface, it would seem that we're on the same page here. We both believe this. Where we differ is this: How does one "get" saving faith?

Faith, like grace, is a gift of God. Eph. 2:8-9 By grace you have been saved, through faith-and this not from yourselves, it is the gift of God-not by works, so that no one can boast) Our faith, our ability to say, "Yes, I believe that Jesus died and rose for me" doesn't just come out of thin air -in fact, we can't say “I believe” apart from faith. It is by the work of the Holy Spirit that we are called to faith. 1 Cor. 2:14 The man without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God, for they are foolishness to him, and he cannot understand them, because they are spiritually discerned. 1 Corinthians 12:3 No one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit.

On the basis of the Scriptures we teach that God uses specific means to convey his grace, so that by faith it may become personally ours. This is what we mean when we speak of “the means of grace”.

We believe that Scripture teaches that God's grace is conveyed to us through the Gospel: Rom. 10:17 Faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the
word of Christ.
2 Thess. 2:14 He called you to this through our gospel. Rom. 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile. The Gospel is the means by which God (through His Holy Spirit) calls us to faith - but it is not the only means.

We also believe on the basis of what the Scriptures say about baptism throughout the New Testament that it is also a means through which God conveys His saving grace. Lutheran theologians often speak of baptism as "visible Gospel." Consequently, we don’t view baptism as a human work, but solely a work of God through which He accomplishes His purpose. Though it is human hands that carry out the baptism, it is God's action at work. Gal. 3:27 All of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. Acts 2:38 Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. Acts 22:16 Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away. Titus 3:5-7 He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit, whom He poured out on us generously through Jesus Christ our Saviour, so that, having been justified by His grace, we might become heirs having the hope of eternal life.

Also on the basis of Scripture, we teach that children, even babies, can have faith. Matt. 18:6 If anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in Me to sin, it would be better
for him to have a large millstone hung around his neck and to be drowned in the depths of the
sea.
According to Scripture, John the Baptist was "filled with the Holy Spirit even from birth" (Luke 1:15), and even before birth (Luke 1:41-44).

By faith, which the Holy Spirit began in my baptism, I believe God's sure promises that He has saved me according to his grace and mercy. I need not doubt this, because God gave me the very faith which grasps his grace. He did it all.

Do some people come to faith later in life without the benefit of baptism? Yes, of course. But they did not come to faith because they made a declaration. They came to faith by hearing the Gospel, and when they made their declaration of faith they were only confirming what the Holy Spirit had already created in them. (Lutherans do this formally in the rite of Confirmation.) Do some people who were baptized when they were very young later reject their faith? Yes, sadly. But the fact that some fail to remain in the faith that was begun in their baptism should not invalidate the faith of those who hold fast to it. It’s important to remember that according to Mark 16:16 it’s not the lack of baptism that condemns – it is only unbelief that condemns. Faith cannot exist in the heart of a person who despises and rejects baptism against better knowledge.

I treasure my baptism. The word of God promises that in it I have forgiveness of sins (Acts 2:38); I have been rescued from death and the devil (Romans 6:3-5); and I have been given eternal salvation (Mark 16:16).

If you were to watch people going up for communion at our church (communion, by the way, is also understood as a means of grace) you would notice that many communicants pause on the way up to lay their hand on the baptismal font. As we go up, we recall our baptism which saved us, even as we approach the table to receive the Lord’s body and blood for the strengthening of our faith. There's a beauty to the never-ending cycle of it: the daily drowning of the sinful self and the rising of the new creation who is in Christ. That God accomplished this in me by my baptism is nothing less than a miracle, and for that reason I cherish it.

6 comments:

Denise said...

It greaves me that your family is giving you so much trouble. I know that this may be a somewhat Baptist thought, but I think the Lord is more worried about your heart. If Baptism where the only way into his family, what would the theif on the cross have done? Fortunately it's not or Christ would not have said to him "This day you shall be with me in paradise." And as Brother Joe would say God can do anything but Lie.

Anonymous said...

I think your thoughts here are pretty well organized and someone listens with an open heart will understand where you're coming from. Please do pray first to make sure that such a conversation will be a welcome dialogue between believers and not a contentious debate, k?

Anyway, this topic makes me dizzy. Even among those denominations who practice pedobaptism there is a difference of opinion as to why. Even among those who believe it conveys grace, there is a difference of opinion as to what kind of grace - justifying/saving grace or sancitfying grace? I'm not looking for an answer here just babbling about differences of opinion that don't matter much to me.

Much love to you. Good for you working out your thoughts.

Anonymous said...

oh, and I think it's funny because I've got it ALL covered. I was baptized in the Roman Catholic church as an infant (which according to my father, means I am still a Catholic), re-baptized in a pool under the altar in non-denom./AoG affiliated church when I was nine, and then, just in case those two didn't take, I believe I was also dunked by an LCMS pastor in a lake during Bible camp (I say I believe because for some reason, I've blocked a lot of that time out - topic for another time). I shoulda just had my feet washed. (John 13:10)

Andie said...

Happy Baptism Birthday!!!! What a wonderful day to remember your baptism.
I think your thoughts are well organized, very put together. You have a wonderful loving way of staiting your faith and convictions. You are talking to your nephew out of love for your children, and for him. I pray the Holy Spirit opens his heart and mind to what you have to tell him. Even if he doesn't agree, I pray he will respect your beliefs and wishes.
Blessings-Andie
PS...thanks for commenting and reading my blog. I need to get one of those blog lists on my blog so I don't loose my links again!!! I'll add you if I can figure out how, and it's ok with you! :-)

Granny Annie said...

I am a baptized and comfirmed, life long Methodist (and a preacher's daughter to boot). We too are saved by grace. I just watched the movie Luther and send kudos to the Lutheran church for making this wonderful film. My faith is deep but it cannot be expressed nor can it be argued. I have given up fighting and simply embrace all thought. My father taught me it's not having all the answers but it is continuing the search.

Unashamed said...

Your father sounds like a wise man.

Thanks for stopping by...I think I've seen you over at JD's place, right?