If you came to visit me

In just 3 weeks I will be leaving for our family vacation, and as you may know, one of the most anticipated parts of the trip will be stopping to meet with Debbie and her family on our way home. I find myself thinking about it more and more as the time gets nearer. I also find myself thinking how neat it would be to one day be able to play hostess for Debbie. Or Sara. Or Beth, or Marilee, or Denise, or...oh heck, any of you!

If you came to visit me, I would really make it worth your while.

I would make up a bed with the softest pillows and the comfy-est blankets for you.

I would make sure that I had your favourite tea or coffee and I would bake some of my best butter oatmeal cookies.

I'd pick up fresh flowers for the occasion.

I would give you the BIGGEST hug when you arrived.

I would let you have the best seat on the couch - at the end that doesn't sag.

I would take you to all the little towns and villages out here in "Mennonite Country" so you can see for yourself how pretty the farms are and how industrious the people are. I would take you to the farmer's market in nearby St. Jacobs and let you pick out some local products to sample. I'd take you up to St. Agatha - not too far away, maybe a 15 minute drive - to Kennedy's for an authentic Waterloo County meal of rolled ribs, sauerkraut, pig tails, hot potato salad and apple strudel for dessert.

I would give you a crash course in the liturgy (though you would be surprised to find how familiar the words are - it is composed of Scripture you know) and take you to church with me where we would join together with all the saints on earth and in heaven to give praise to the Lord Almighty, who saved us and made us Sisters.

I would keep you up late into the night talking to you, getting to know you inside and out and sharing my heart with you because some things just can't be shared online, though I am dying to share them.

I would let you sleep in and when you woke up we'd have a leisurely breakfast out on the porch. (Assuming, you know, it's not snowing *grin*)

I would take all kinds of pictures of you and I would make others (our spouses, our kids, random passers-by) take pictures of us making goofy faces and silly smiles!

I would take you to see the sights: Niagara Falls is barely a two hour drive and the CN Tower is an hour away in Toronto.

I would introduce to you to my mom, who is a lovely, lovely lady. You would like her.

I would play lots of praise and worship music; I would play it loud and we could make a joyful noise together!

I would kneel beside you in prayer.

If you came to visit me I would cherish every single second of our time together and when the time came for you to go I would cry and promise to come visit you.

Because that's what friends do.

9 comments:

Lisa said...

Aww... Anita what a wonderful post and what a wonderful friend you are! I am SO EXCITED about your trip to visit Debbie. I know that you will have a fantastic trip and will make some memories!!

I am thankful for your friendship!
Lisa :-)

Denise said...

This truly touched my heart, just like your friendship does. I love you dear one.

Debbie said...

Now Anita.....this is exactly what I'm talking about!! YOU HAVE TO STAY LONGER WITH ME!!!!!! In fact, I was thinking.....you may have to cut your Florida stop short in order to have more time with me....I mean, c'mon now...we need more time!!! *grin*

There is no way we can pack everything into our short overnight. I had already imagined us sitting up ALL night just laughing, talking and sharing heart stories......all while our spouses and children rolled their eyes...*grin*

Andie said...

May I make a reservation, please?? :o)
Andie

Sharon said...

Ditto on the reservation!
:-)

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

I was thinking of you and this post when I had to stop by a local B&B to pick something up today. I wish I had a big beautiful comfy home like that to invite y'all over! *wink* At this point, I don't even have a spare bed! LOL But, DaHubby and I have talked about Niagra, Toronto, or the Agawa Canyon tour. We'll get to your side of the border at SOME point. I promise!

sara said...

Hey, please pray for my friend and baby some more - delivery is by c-section RIGHT NOW. 30 weeks 2 days.

sara said...

mother and child are doing well.

Marilee said...

Wow this is such a beautiful post! We are still working on our plan to visit you in the summer... I SO hope that works out! And I wouldn't care if we camped in a tent in your back yard or even under the open stars... and just roasted weenies for dinner. It's the time together to share our hearts and worship God that I would definately not want to give up! Even playing a card game or board game while we talk and laugh together would be so great! And taking pics too - I love to take pics! I would also want to bring you a lovely hostess gift!!! Something that will bring you joy and a smile - something from my heart to yours.

I am praying for your visit with Debbie to be even more wonderful than you can imagine - cause that's how awesome our God is! He always knows how to pour out wonderful blessings that surprise us in a beautiful way! And... I am already feeling like I'm missing out on a family reunion; I sure wish I could come too! But one day... one day we will all be together in the Father's presence and have all of eternity to worship and praise Him together!!!

LOVE YOU ANITA!
HUGS!!!
Marilee