Make this cranberry sauce. You will be so glad you did.
No one on my side of the family serves turkey with cranberry sauce. I'd never even heard of it until I got married and the first time I served turkey my in-laws were like, "Where's the cranberry sauce???" My husband had to run down to the corner store and buy a can of this revolting jellied cranberry stuff. I had a hard time looking at the stuff. but it made my in-laws happy, so whatever.
But there's still a part of me that just squirms at the thought of serving something that plopped out of a can to a guest, so a few years ago I went hunting for a cranberry sauce recipe. I found a good, basic recipe (cranberry sauce is ridiculously easy to make from scratch and soooo much better than revolting-jellied-plops-canned stuff) and over the years I've tweaked it until I have what is possibly the world's most delicious cranberry sauce. I even eat it. It's that good.
So for your upcoming Thanksgiving, please, I beg you. Put away your can opener. Spend 10 minutes making this stuff. You will not be sorry!
Basic Cranberry Sauce
1-1/2 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
4 cups fresh cranberries
In a saucepan, cook the sugar and water until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils. Add the cranberries and simmer for about 5 minutes until the cranberry pop. Remove it from the heat and let it cool completely. It will get thicker as it cools.
To Die For Cranberry Sauce
1-1/2 cups sugar
1 orange
1/2 t grated ginger
1 peeled and chopped pear
1 peeled and chopped granny smith apple
3 cups cranberries
Put the sugar and ginger into a saucepan and grate the peel of the orange into the pot. Then cut the orange in half and squeeze all the juice you can into the sugar mixture. Cook until the sugar dissolves and the mixture boils. Add the apple and the pear first and cook for one minute then add the cranberries and cook until they pop. Cool the mixture. It can be served cold or room temperature, but I prefer it warm.
9 comments:
yeah, I could never eat cranberry jelly (how can they call it sauce?) that plopped out of a can. The home-cooked stuff is pretty good, though huh?
I'm trying to remember...didn't J work on Thanksgiving last year and you and little J went down for dinner? Or did I imagine that?
good memory! we planned on going but I think we stayed home instead.
This year we're staying home and cooking and inviting whoever wants to come. My mom and stepdad, sibs, my mom's friend are coming so far. I'll see who else I can round up. I'm keeping it basic - just turkey, stuffing, green beans, sweet potatoes and now CRANBERRY SAUCE! I think my mom will bring dessert.
Do you do mint jelly with your Easter lamb?
Sounds good sweetie.
Hurray for you! I love a houseful at Thanksgiving. The more the merrier, I say.
No lamb for Easter. That's one I've never cared for. My husband loves it though and does eat his with mint jelly...when he can get it, that is! I often do a ham for Easter instead.
*groan* oh man! That sounds amazing! Just might have to try that this year for my first attempt at hosting Thanksgiving. LOL
Hi,
I just found your blog by following a link at KitKats blogspot. This recipe sounds delicious and I'll look forward to trying it for our Thanksgiving dinner :)
That does sound like a good recipie! I've never been one to like cranberry sauce, but our boys love it and so does my hubby so maybe I'll try out your recipie.
Thanks Anita!
That sounds really good! I think I'll try it out for Thanksgiving this year. Thanks for the recipe!
Post a Comment