Evangelism by prayer
I want to share this idea with you. I'm sure I am not the first person to think of this; in fact I'm not sure I even came up with the idea - I think it may be more accurate to say that the Spirit inspired me.
God has been making me bolder for Him - I have been doing my best to resist. Typically I shy away from evangelizing in a direct, proclamatory way. I've always assumed that people will be turned off by an in-your-face approach, so I've opted for more of a stealth approach. I am (and probably always will be) more comfortable "living the message" and making indirect references to my faith, saying things like "God bless you" and "I'll pray for you". And hey, there's nothing wrong with that approach. We are called to be salt and light, and it lends credibilty when our lives are consistent with the message that we profess.
God only knows why, but He has been putting people squarely in my path who are practically screaming to have the Gospel preached to them. Hurting people who need to hear the consolation that only the life-giving Gospel gives. People who need to hear the words, "Your sins are forgiven". In their time of desperate need, how can I withhold the Gospel from them? How can I justify staying in my comfort zone, consoling myself that I can be a "living Gospel" to them? So I've been trying to be more bold, you know? But leaving ones comfort zone can be hard.
One day not too long ago, I came face to face with one of those hurting people. And as I struggled to put the Gospel into words that I thought weren't too "preachy" or "pushy" (comfort zone, people) I was suddenly struck- I mean, thunderbolt of lightning, out of nowhere, where did that come from? - with an impulse to pray for this person. So I stopped midway in sentence and asked, "Could we pray together?" She gave her assent and so we clasped hands and I prayed.
And the Holy Spirit poured forth! My mouth was filled and before I knew it I was boldly proclaiming the sweet Gospel that Jesus died for her sins so that she might live! All praise and glory to God - the Gospel has been proclaimed!
Since that day, I have had two more opportunities to bring the Word and both times I asked if we could pray. Nobody has said no, and it has opened up a door for me to be bold in a way I never would have before. For some reason, in prayer I am able to pour forth the Word clearly, boldly and unambiguously. I thank God for this.
Anyways, I thought I would share this because perhaps you may want to try this also.
11 comments:
I agree that face-to-face witnessing is difficult if you haven't done much of it. I'm better than I use to be, but still get nervous.
I'm so glad you shared that with us! Praise the Lord for your obedience.
1 Sam 15:22 And Samuel said, Hath the LORD as great delight in burnt offerings and sacrifices, as in obeying the voice of the LORD? Behold, to obey is better than sacrifice, and to hearken than the fat of rams.
Thank you so very much for your prayers for my family! I really appreciate it very, very much!!!! Lots of Love and
(((HUGS))))
YYOOUU SSOO RROOCCKK!! I am SOOOO proud of you for following His leading! (((hhuuggss))) You'll make a good Pentecostal yet! *wink*
*big smile*
I love you, and I am so proud of you. Always follow His calling my friend.
Aw shucks, Beth. It's true, I do seem to have have some "Pentecostal leanings", don't I? Hey, you should have seen me when I was at church with Debbie, clapping my hands and swaying to the music. When in Rome, right?
Only the Holy Spirit can push me out of my comfort zone. It's funny how He answers prayer too. I pray, "God please use me." and He does in a way that I would not have chosen for myself. My God is a good, good, GOOD Father. Praising Him with you for His goodness and faithfulness and mercy.
Yes! Sara I fully agree. This is not at all a result of my human effort. It is only by the power of the Spirit.
I found myself unexpectedly praying for the folks walking with me last night. One lady with a whiny teenager: peace and wisdom. One very uncomfortable large0ish couple: for health and stick-to-it-ive-ness! LOL You can only follow where He leads and obey! *wink*
That is so wonderful, Anita.
Such a hard thing for me to do, too...and yet, as you say, the Holy Spirit led you AND provided the words. Amazing.
Wonderful witness! Gives me goosebumps.
That is so wonderful! I find it hard at times as well, and I just pray for guidance and the discernment for the "right" way for the situation!
What a wonderful testimony you shared with us :)
Post a Comment