Parish life
I have really enjoyed this Lenten season and the opportunity to gather with my Brothers and Sisters for mid-week Lenten services on Wednesday evenings.
Now, I confess that I have had mixed feelings about the sermon series that is being preached - it is about "repairing broken relationships". Each week the sermon has looked at behaviour patterns that contribute to unhealthy relationships - having unrealistic expectations of each other, the negative interpretation of motives, escalating responses, etc. I'm not quite able to put my finger on why I don't like them; they seem to be too law driven, almost "self-help" in nature, with too much focus on fixing broken human relationships and not enough on how Jesus fixes our broken relationship with the Father. There's nothing wrong with them per se, it's just not my cup of tea, I guess.
Despite this, I've still come away each evening fed and refreshed. It occured to me that this is one real advantage that the liturgy has over a non-liturgical worship setting: even if you get a less than stellar sermon, you still hear the Word - spoken by the pastor from the readings and spoken and sung to one another by the congregation. The Word runs through the entire service and you are immersed in it from beginning to end. I will miss having these midweek gatherings when Lent ends.
I've also REALLY enjoyed being in the choir! It kind of surprised me how much pleasure I've been getting out of it. We have a full docket for this upcoming Holy Week: leading the congregation in the canticles for Palm Sunday, and anthems/hymns on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I have discovered that I have a not bad voice too! It's not a "solo" voice to be sure, but it sounds quite nice when it is blended with other voices. I get a real sense of satisfaction in praising God in this way.
This past Sunday our church held a special candlelight service of Evening Prayer. It featured a men's choir, and several organists from around our district contributed their talents. It was not a heavily attended event (which disappointed me a bit) but the smaller gathering of people gave it a peaceful, intimate atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Now, I confess that I have had mixed feelings about the sermon series that is being preached - it is about "repairing broken relationships". Each week the sermon has looked at behaviour patterns that contribute to unhealthy relationships - having unrealistic expectations of each other, the negative interpretation of motives, escalating responses, etc. I'm not quite able to put my finger on why I don't like them; they seem to be too law driven, almost "self-help" in nature, with too much focus on fixing broken human relationships and not enough on how Jesus fixes our broken relationship with the Father. There's nothing wrong with them per se, it's just not my cup of tea, I guess.
Despite this, I've still come away each evening fed and refreshed. It occured to me that this is one real advantage that the liturgy has over a non-liturgical worship setting: even if you get a less than stellar sermon, you still hear the Word - spoken by the pastor from the readings and spoken and sung to one another by the congregation. The Word runs through the entire service and you are immersed in it from beginning to end. I will miss having these midweek gatherings when Lent ends.
I've also REALLY enjoyed being in the choir! It kind of surprised me how much pleasure I've been getting out of it. We have a full docket for this upcoming Holy Week: leading the congregation in the canticles for Palm Sunday, and anthems/hymns on Maundy Thursday, Good Friday and Easter Sunday. I have discovered that I have a not bad voice too! It's not a "solo" voice to be sure, but it sounds quite nice when it is blended with other voices. I get a real sense of satisfaction in praising God in this way.
This past Sunday our church held a special candlelight service of Evening Prayer. It featured a men's choir, and several organists from around our district contributed their talents. It was not a heavily attended event (which disappointed me a bit) but the smaller gathering of people gave it a peaceful, intimate atmosphere. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

3 comments:
I would LOVE to hear you sing! Any recordings?
Heh heh, play your cards right...
I know what you mean about less than stellar sermons. I've heard my share of them. But the liturgy sure can make up for it.
Post a Comment