My little songbird

Warning! Unabashed bragging on daughter follows. Proceed at your own risk!

Last night we attended a "Spring Arts Concert" at my daughters school. We were treated to performances from the string symphonies, the Concert Choir, the Jazz Choir and a number of vocal and instrumental solists. My daughter sings with both the Concert Choir and the Jazz Choir and I can say without any bias whatsoever that the Jazz Choir was the highlight of the evening! *wink*

The Concert Choir is open to anyone who is interested and there are about 75 members, but the Jazz Choir is only 20 voices and you had to try out to be in it. It's an all-girl group, too. Both choirs are outstanding - last week each choir took first place in the Kiwanis Music Festival in their respective categories.

My favourite piece of the night was the old southern spiritual "Free At Last", performed by the Jazz Choir. My daughter has a lovely soprano voice, strong and clear, but for this song she sang an alto part. It was something to see - all their little faces shining with joy! As they sang, I could feel the tears pricking my eyes and I thought I would burst with pride. What a wonderful testimony they gave, singing about their redemption in Jesus!

Unfortunately, none of the pictures that I took (from my prime spot in the front row, of course) turned out well. Alli was in the very back row and I didn't get any clear shots of her. I have some really nice ones of the back of the choir conductor's head though.

14 comments:

Sharon said...

Isn't it wonderful to watch our children's talents develop? It sure puts a lump in a mother's throat and tears in the eyes.

Denise said...

Woo Hoo, you shine on Alli.

Debbie said...

Yay! Yay! Yay! *giving you high five*

I know what you mean! Having your own child perform using a God given talent, is a blessing! I can't help but cry almost each time my own daughter sings.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Bravo! Bravo! I couldn't even keep it together when "Flicka" was one of the little ones chosen to carry plam branches up to the altar on Palm Sunday. Can't imagine what's in store for me if she sings! LOL

Denise said...

Isn't it wonderful to watch your kids grow and use the talents the Lord has given them? Congradulations, you deserve to be able to brag.

Denise

Anonymous said...

big cheesy smile here.

Lisa said...

What a wonderful early Mother's Day gift to you!!

Blog is no more said...

Yay! What a blessing you have received!

Lisa said...

I tagged you! Come visit my blog!

Sharon said...

Lisa beat me to it! I've tagged you, too!

Anonymous said...

I had a dream that I went to see Allie (Ally? Alli?) perform a concert in NYC. I knew I'd recognize her up on stage but was wondering if I'd be able to pick you out of the crowd of the audience.

Debbie said...

Helllooooo.....Anita........R U There?!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

hey, my cousin is marrying a canadian. any idea where huntsville ontario is?

Denise said...

Where are you my sweet friend? Praying that all is well with you, I love you.