Dolly


This is my Allison. She is 14 today.
This is a hard age. We - she as well as her mom and dad - are navigating it as best we can. She is caught somewhere between childhood and young womanhood. Old enough to be "developing"; young enough to still want to hold my hand when we walk. She is, I know, more naive than many of the other kids her age. For good or for ill, we've sheltered our kids, and especially our daughter. We've tried to protect them from growing up too fast. She is still so innocent in many ways.
Sometimes I am struck by the contrast in her behaviour - one minute she is skipping unselfconsciously as we walk from the car to the mall, and the next minute she is dragging me into Old Navy and trying to sweet-talk me into buying her a spaghetti strap tank. (NO.)
She has a quick wit and sometimes in good fun she will zing me, just come back with something snappy and intelligent and grown-up; yet on the other hand, she doesn't know the meaning of many of the "grown-up" words that other kids her age use so easily (vulgar slang expressions, for example). She didn't know what "gay" meant until about a year ago, and she's still perplexed by the whole concept.
When she was little I had two nicknames for her: "Lamby" and "Dolly". I still call her Lamby, but I don't call her Dolly much any more. I think of it as her baby-nickname. But her uncle, my brother Steve, still calls her Dolly and when I hear him call her that it just pierces my heart. Where did my Dolly go? How did she grow up so fast? Each year seems to slip away a little faster and I wish she would stay little for just a bit longer. Be my Dolly again.
That's not the way it works. All I can do is try my best to guide this child-woman, who is more precious to me than she knows, towards adulthood. I am thankful that she is in the Lord's hand. I pray for her - for all my kids - to remain in Christ; that they would grow into faithful servants; that they would meet and marry Christian spouses one day; that they will raise their own children in the Lord. And I thank God for them all, today especially for my Alli.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

*smile* and *sniff* Happy Birthday, Alli.

Denise said...

Happy Birthday to precious Alli, may she be greatly blessed.

Sharon said...

I have a one and only daughter and we sheltered her also. In this day and age I think we have too shelter them to protect their innocence. Keep talking about the Lord daily to her and have her know His Will for her to obey Him and not the world. They grow up too fast as it is.

Happy belated birthday Alli!

KitKat said...

Happy birthday to your DD!! Hubby and I have also sheltered our daughters, and I can already tell the difference between our 8 yr old DD and some of her peers. We always hope that our extra diligence in keeping her from growing up too fast will help her be a better adult in the end. :-)

This was a beautiful post! I hope that you all have a wonderful day.

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

Good job so far, Mom! She's perfect! *wink* And, happy birthday, "Dolly"! (((hugs))) to you both

Lisa said...

Happy, Happy Birthday to your sweet daughter! They do grow up too fast!!!

Blog is no more said...

Happy Birthday Allison!! I have a 13 year old and yes, they do grow up so fast!! I shelter my kids as well to a point. They see so much on TV and learn way to much from school.

Yes, I guess I should call my pigs in the blanket, piglets in the blanket, ha ha too funny!

Debbie said...

So sweet! Happy Birthday to your beautiful young lady! This picture seems to capture a quiet soul with lots of compassion. I know you are proud of her as well as you should be.

I remember when Amanda was that age *sigh*....this time was difficult for her because she didn't know where she "fit in." It could get a little emotional at times.

If we could just keep them small a little bit longer......