I like Hildegard

Since we began attending church at Redeemer 3 years ago, we've slowly been getting to know our brothers and sisters there. We know mostly everybody by name - or at least by face - and there's a handful of folks that I consider friends - folks that we have over for dinner and spend time with outside of Sunday worship. I'm glad that we've made their acquaintance and I hope that these friendships will bloom and grow over time.

But I have to tell you, my heart has been longing for a real "girlfriend". I'm not complaining - I have all my blog friends after all, who are true friends and sisters to me. But I don't have someone that I can call up on the phone and just chat with; someone that I can have over for coffee and ask advice of; someone that I can kneel beside and pray with; someone I can go to and say, "Sister, I have a burden, would you help me bear it?". At this point I don't have someone like that IRL.

But there's Hildegard. And I think maybe she could be someone like that to me.

I really like Hildegard. We "click", you know? She doesn't know it, but she's a model of faith for me. She wears her heart - which is full of joy for her Saviour - on her sleeve. She has beautiful sleeves.

She is the one person so far that I have met that I can really open up to. You might remember I blogged about her in a previous post. I think I could call her up and ask her for prayer, and I hope she knows that she could ask the same from me. (I guess I should tell her, huh?)

Over and over again, she has been a source of quiet encouragement to me. As fellow Sunday School teachers we sometimes share our joys and our sorrows with each other and there have been times when I've been bitter with disappointment...and Hildegard listens and understands and gently points me back to Jesus, reminding me that I am not in this alone.

The older I get the better I understand why God through the writer to the Hebrews told us not to forsake the assembly:

And let us consider how we may spur one another on toward love and good deeds, not giving up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but encouraging one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching. (Hebrews 10:24-25)

There is a reason why God wants Christians to assemble themselves. It's not for the good of me - I can just as easily receive His gifts whether I am alone or surrounded by others. It's not even for the good of God - for I come before Him an empty-handed beggar. It's for the good of my brethren.

Just as Hildegard is an encouragement to me, I am an encouragement to others. I can't be that if I'm not there.

Maybe God has it in mind to give me a girlfriend that I can share my heart with, and maybe it will be Hildegard. Maybe not. Maybe it'll be someone else. But in the meantime I can't tell you how much it has meant to me that He has given me YOU to fill the longing that is in my heart.

7 comments:

Blog is no more said...

Anita, we all need a prayer warrior that we can share things with. I thank God that I have 2 girlfriends that love me no matter what. They have told me like it is, prayed for me and listend to each others praises and gripes. I cannot imagine life without these two friends of mine. I pray God will send you some of these 'gems' as well. Hildegard sounds like a lovely person, just like you!!

Beth/Mom2TwoVikings said...

You ARE an encouragement! You are a prayer warrior and service-oriented. That mentor-mentee, lifting one another up cycle is a new experience to me as well. Despite the limitations of the online world, you are all those things!

I'm so blessed to hear that you may have found someone IRL that can spoil ya' when you're good and slap ya' when ya need like you do for us here! *wink*

Leigh Ann said...

I'm looking for some one like that too. I had someone like that but after we had kids and we turned PCA we have grown apart. I miss this so much. God so knew what He was doing when He designed the church.

Debbie said...

Oh, *grabbing tissues* I think that is why we have all bonded so well. It is important that we each have that "girlfriend" and although we are the "online" friends, I feel that we are just as much girlfriend as anyone IRL....

I am sad at the fact that we can't go to walmart together (yet) or sip tea from fancy little cups while eating scones or some other luscious dessert, but I am grateful to know that you intercede for me. That is priceless.

Andie said...

Having a great friend like that is very important. I had noone like that in our previous town, and I thank God for my friend, Jacque. I can call her at a moments notice for prayer, a shoulder to cry on, to tell funny stories to, and if I need a hand with kiddos. I hope she feels the same way with me! I pray God sends you this IRL friend...but until then, you have us! :-)
Blessings-Andie

Marilee said...

I totally agree with what Debbie wrote! To me you all ARE real life friends. You are all REAL and you are all FRIENDS! More important, we're all SISTERS in Christ and one day we will have an eternity to spend all together with our Lord in Heaven!!!

But I hear you about a physical closeness. It's kinda hard to hug the computer, though I definately do feel warm and loved when I get a cyber hug!!!

I pray that God will lead you to a wonderful friend who lives close to you and who needs that personal bonding also.

In the meantime... who says we can't exchange phone numbers??? We have free minutes (even for calls to/from Canada!) all weekends and evenings. And we have plenty of minutes for those spur of the moment calls or "I need prayer" calls in between too. Maybe I'll email you and Debbie my phone number... oh, and if Sara agrees I would love it if you could send me her email address! I forgot to ask in the other post.

Thanks Anita! You are definately a VERY DEAR FRIEND!!!

Love you so much!!! Marilee

Anonymous said...

You are so right on, Anita! It's important to not forsake the assembling of ourselves together! So much of it is for our good, our benefit!