The ketchup post
If you say "catch up" real fast, it comes out sounding like "ketchup". Get it? No? Well never mind then...
Just to catch you all up on what's going on in my world:
- Talked to Debbie on the phone on Monday night. Oh my! I was so excited, I kept having to pinch myself! We are making plans to meet in December as our family passes through Debbie's home town on our way back from vacation. I. Am. SO. Excited!! It will be a whirlwind stop, but we are determined that we are going to worship together at her home church. According to Debbie it's a little country church - it sounds charming, doesn't it? Debbie sounds just like I thought she would too. She has a very happy, friendly, outgoing voice and she laughs a lot too. That didn't surprise me, because in my head that's how she sounded. The only thing that was different is I forgot that being from the South she would have a Southern accent! Isn't that silly? I guess to her I have a Northern accent. Anyways, it was so neat to speak to her and I can't wait to meet her family.
- I don't know what it's been like where you are, but the weather has been really weird here. We've had record high temperatures this September. Yesterday it was 31 degrees (that's around 90) and really humid - it was like a mid-summer day. It's so odd being out in shorts and a tank top, sweating like crazy - and having to rake the falling leaves!!! Still, I'm not complaining. Any day I can wear shorts is a good day to me, *smile*.
- About a week ago, my son Brent came home with bleached blond hair. He had a friend help him do it. I was not aware that he was going to do it, but I wasn't all that surprised - he's always been fascinated by people who use their bodies to make a statement - you know, tattoos, body piercing, freaky hair, that kind of stuff. He knows that I don't like that kind of thing - to me the "statement" is a big middle finger to the world - so I'd rather he not do it. On the other hand, my husband has something like 40 tattoos on his body (which he did when he was a teenager) and even though he's told the kids how much he regrets ever doing them, I think there's kind of a mixed message there. Anyways, I tried not to make too much of a deal out of the blond hair, reminding myself that I always said I wouldn't "sweat the small stuff". Except then on Monday Brent came home with purple hair. Then I freaked. That's just a bit too counter-culture for me. We have had to forbid all future hair colouring until age 18. And tattooing and body piercing as well, in case there was any confusion. Sigh. In the meantime his head looks like a big purple Easter egg. I'll have to get a picture and post it so you all can have a good chuckle. I honestly don't know whether to laugh or cry, so I'm choosing to laugh!
- Well, I'm watching TV again. I don't know what it is, every fall I turn into a slug and start turning on the TV after dinner. It's not like I actually have time to watch television at night, but I keep getting sucked in. The last couple of years it has been Lost on Wednesdays. This year it is Heroes. My son Kirk bought the DVD of season one over the summer and told us that we should watch it, he thought we'd really like it. So we did, and now we are addicted! It is on Mondays at 9 pm, so don't try to call me during that time - I'll be glued to the tv. I think I'm going to have to give up Lost though. I have to exercise some discipline after all. (Sidebar: Speaking of TV, when I was newly married I got into the habit of watching soap operas during the day - I watched them for quite a few years before God convicted me of it. In "obedience" I stopped watching them...but I started buying and reading Soap Opera Digest magazine instead! Yes, really. Eventually I gave the magazine up as well - I'm a slow learner I guess, but a thankful-for-grace learner too.)
- Hey, have you seen the Canadian Loonie lately?? It's practically par with the US greenback. Now is the time to invite me for a visit, folks. There's so many places in the US that I haven't travelled to yet...
- After a lot of prayer and thought I have resigned my seat on the LC-C East District Department for Outreach. I really loved serving on that board, but I don't have the time to devote to it that I once did, so I resigned my seat when my 3 year term ended this month. I will continue to teach Sunday School at our church as God has confirmed that call for me. It doesn't always work out this way, but this is one of those times that I clearly see and hear His will for me. Having my service to Him confirmed brings such peace and I am thankful for that blessing.
- Last but not least, this weekend is Lutheran Open House weekend. It's a national initiative - something like 90% of the Lutheran churches in Canada are holding open houses this Saturday and Sunday with special events and special worship services planned. The idea is to invite our communities in to explore our facilities, programs and ministries and learn about our confession of faith. Hubby and I are Greeters this Sunday so I am looking forward, God willing, to seeing LOTS of new faces!
So, how was your week?
10 comments:
Hey Anita!
That's great that you and Debbie are going to meet! I recently called my pen-pal who lives in Ohio. She had a northern voice and of course, I must have sounded like a country hick. ;-)
I was born in Ohio, but didn't grow up there. My uncle has always teased me saying, "Where did you get that Southern accent?!" Well, I grew up in FL? Since moving to GA, I have really picked up the Southern accent! ;-)
Stop by and read today's post and you'll see what we've been doing the past week.
Purple, huh? I had pink. My mom figured that if that was the most dangerous way I was going to express myself then so be it. What she forgot to ask was "What, exactly, are you expressing? What are you trying to say?" I think she was just hoping that that would be the worst of my rebellion. It wasn't.
Talk soon!
I remember going to a family conference and the speaker who is an excellent counsellor on teens talked about the time his son dyed his hair green... the day before they were all supposed to go to a huge conference where he was the main speaker--on teens. In his case he realized his main problem was pride over wanting the perfect family and to be able to point to his kids as models as to how he had done it right and not to have "christmas tree head" as HIS son. He said the Lord really taught him a lesson through that.
Anywho, hope it washes out soon.
Hello my sweet friend, so glad that you and debbie are going to meet.
So jealous you two will get to meet IRL. *wink*
Wouldn't worry too much about the hair- like Sara, mine was something to behold in high school as well. Colors, mousse, spray, cuts, shavings, bleachings, perms...it wasn't pretty. LOL It all grows out eventually.
I saw the article yesterday about the Loonie! Congrats! It's about time! *wink* Wonder how that's affecting Sault Ste Marie, Port Huron, and Detroit, Michigan? Hmmm...LOL
Sorry to hear you stepped down from Outreach but if that season has passed, then God's will prepare you for what's next! Hold on! I bet it'll be fun! LOL
Your open house idea reminded me of something...DaHubby and I want to head over to the U of MI University Lutheran Chapel where I was part of LCMS student ministry for a few years. Beautiful old building - the one that looks like your home church - but it's had major renovations: handicap accessibility, kitchen makeover, bathroom updates, etc. The "unveiling" and dedication is October 20th.
Well like Beth said and as my husband tell the boys when they hear me say OOps when I'm cutting their hair, it will grow out. That's more than you can say about tatoos and piercings. Just think though, some day he'll out grow all this and will have children of his own. Then you'll get to sit back and giggle as you show them pictures of their father with Easter egg colored hair.
I can't keep up with you! My week has been slow. Just getting around to my visits. It is very good to hear that you did not kill the purple haired boy. At least it wasn't pink.
Where'd my comment go?! :(
I finally leave a comment and it disappears!
*sigh*
~Kari
Purple hair? At least it gives you cause to giggle! I LOVE the open house idea! We should give it a try here in the good ol' USA!! By the way, if you're in the mood to trave, come on down to Kansas...it's only 82 today!
We're also BIG Heros fans. Has it started this season? Did I miss it??? I guess I'd better go check out the website and see. I'm also a CSI junkie...gotta get a life!
Blessings-Andie
Ah, purple hair. Doesn't every kid go through something like this? It'll be okay!
Post a Comment