Will I ever blog again?

Sheesh. Been almost 2 weeks since I last posted.

I'm seeing these "Blogging without obligation" buttons around on some blogs. You know what? I feel absolutely NO obligation whatsoever about where/when/how I blog. Seriously. I don't even feel obligated to TELL people that I don't feel obligated. I guess I just did. Tell, I mean. But I didn't feel obligated to do so, *grin*.

Sara and Sue and I have been going back and forth about what people blog about and what motivates them to do so. I have come to the realization that I mentally make assumptions about what motivates people to blog about what they blog about. Sometimes the motivation is obvious - the blogger states up front what they blog about and why. Other times they don't say and I'm left to fill in the blanks. Probably shouldn't be doing that though.

I suppose people probably wonder why I call my blog "Ask a Lutheran" and then I blog about my husband going fishing, or me doing laundry at the laundromat or just about anything that is NOT specifically related to being Lutheran. I really couldn't tell you why either. I just blog what I feel like.

Some of the blogs I read are so well written I wonder why they aren't writing professionally. But to be honest with you, I much prefer the blogs that are written by the everday writers who write about their everyday lives. Sometimes what they blog about is mundane. Sometimes it is profound.

Posts about "Lutheran stuff" take me the longest. I want to be sure that I precisely relate the confessional Lutheran position. Often I have to stop and pull out the Bible, my catechism and the Book of Concord to make sure that what I'm writing is accurate. Sometimes I draft, and edit and agonize over the choice of a single word. I really do take it seriously - but it is a lot of work.

The fluffy stuff that I write is so much simpler. I sit down and type. It comes out. Does anybody care about this stuff? Is the blogosphere a better place because of it? I struggle with this. I feel like if I am not writing something deep and profound (or at least informative) then it's just so much wasted bandwidth.

Today I was listening to an episode of Issues, Etc. It was an older episode about "Vocation: God's Will For Your Life" and as I listened to them talk about vocation being that which God has given us to do, for the good of our Neighbour, in service to Him, I made a connection to blogging. They used the phrase "ordinary life, for ordinary saints". The premise is that we serve our Lord when we go about our daily lives; we don't have to be doing "super-holy" works to be serving Him. Ack. I'm not explaining this well at all. Listen to the episode here if you like. (In fact, listen to any of the episodes. Its realy good stuff.)

Anyways, I've concluded that this is can be an ordinary blog about ordinary things. And there's nothing wrong with that. If I happen to blog about something explicitly Lutheran, I'm doing it because I AM Lutheran. Not because I have a special call to write super-holy stuff about Lutheranism.

Huh. I guess maybe I do feel a little bit obligated after all.

8 comments:

Sharon said...

Yeah, I've got that button on my blog, yet sometimes feel obligated to post. :-/

I never gave it a second thought about you posting about everyday life and the title of your blog. You state where you stand and post about it at times. I know what you mean about a lot of work on the serious posts. When I post my Bible studies, it takes a while. I want to make sure I back everything I say with God's Word.

a soldier's wife said...

I enjoy your blog both the serious posts and the "fluffy" posts(not saying you have fluffy posts though). I enjoy them all :)

I haven't thought about it too much, but I guess I'm more of a fluffy blogger. When I do tackle the more serious topics, I get a lot of flack....

KitKat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
KitKat said...

That deleted comment was me. Sorry about that! I am extra bad with the typos lately.

Here's what I tried to say the first time:
I, too , enjoy all of your posts. There are so many ways for people to learn from each other and connect. The "fluffy" posts can have just as much inpact as the "serious" ones.

I think that I need to get one of those "blogging without obligations" buttons for my own blog. I've been a pathetic excuse for a blogger this year.

Blog is no more said...

Anita, love all your blog entries! I too just write what I feel, according to the mood I'm in and whatever is bothering me or making me happy. Have a good week!

Sue Bee said...

Blogging shouldn't be a chore. Write what you want, when you want.

I DO appreciate that you didn't write that article about what you made for dinner! ;-)

sara said...

WILL you? C'mon write something! I miss you! Are you wearing nail polish? What color?

TKls2myhrt said...

I love your blog! I found it through the Aardvark's blog list. I hope you find time to blog again soon!